The Twenty-seventh Edition of the “2 Agosto” International Composing Competition is announced.
It is promoted by the “Teatro Comunale di Bologna”, by the “Associazione tra i Familiari Vittime Della Strage Alla Stazione di Bologna del 2 Agosto 1980”, and by the “Comitato di Solidarietà alle Vittime delle Stragi”.
- The Competition will award the following three prizes:
First Prize: € 6,000; Second Prize: € 3,000; Third Prize: € 2,000.
The winning scores will be performed live in Bologna, Piazza Maggiore, on August 2nd, 2021, during the commemorative events in memory of the victims of the slaughters. The concert will be radio live broadcasted on RADIO3, and catch-up TV on RAI5.
- The Competition is open to musicians of all nationalities, who were born after the 31st December 1986.
- The XXVII Edition of the International Composing Competition “2 Agosto” is dedicated to scores for orchestra (maximum instrumentation allowed as per bullet point 6), without the addition of solo instruments.
- Competitors are requested to bear in mind that one of the main aims of the Competition is the live performance of the winning scores in Bologna, Piazza Maggiore. Therefore the Jury will not take into consideration either scores unsuitable for open-air performance – even if through an appropriate amplification.
- Scores must not last more than 12 minutes.
- The maximum instrumentation allowed, on pain of exclusion from the competition, is the following:
2 flutes (2nd can be a piccolo), 2 oboes (2nd can be a cor anglais), 2 clarinets in B-flat, 1 bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, 1 contrabassoon, 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 1 trombone, 1 timpanist, 2 percussionists, harp, piano, and strings (10-8-6-5-3).
- Scores must be anonymous and must not contain any mark of identification.
The scores could have been published, but in this case, competitors will have to remove any editorial marks.
- The scores must not have been previously performed.
Competitors will have to enclose a personal declaration to confirm that the work has never been executed before.
- Participants are not allowed to send audio files related to the score presented at the Competition. Competitors may, but it is not mandatory, send another piece of their chamber or orchestral music with AUDIO RECORDING OF AN EXECUTION (no midi file), for the sole purpose of providing the Jury with more complete information about their sound universe.
The recording must be sent via an audio file (no CD or DVD).
Applicants are not allowed to send another piece if not accompanied by a recording.
These additional pieces and recordings must not contain any sign of recognition from the author (title, place of performance, names of the performers, etc.).
- For any doubt or particular need, competitors are invited to contact the Competition Secretariat, writing to email@example.com
- The sending of the scores and the participation in the Competition does not require any subscription fee.
- Scores must be sent according to the following ONLINE procedure: through the website www.concorso2agosto.it in the EDITION 2021 section, the competitor will enter his/her personal data and send his/her files through the SUBSCRIBE registration form.
In the section EDITION 2021 the competitor will be able to find all the detailed information required to take part in the Competition.
- Deadline for the online application: June 27, 2021, at midnight GMT.
- The Jury members’ names will be published on the Competition website.
- The Jury’s judgment cannot be appealed against.
- For any further information, please contact the Secretariat of the International Composition Competition “2 August”: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web site: www.concorso2agosto.it